The Linéa Nutrition Blog
5 Nutrients to Boost Fertility
1. Zink - is Absolutely vital for reproductive health. It affects every part of the female cycle. From the desire for sex and adequate levels of hormones that stimulate the egg to grow to preventing early pregnancy losses. Zink is also vital for men as it improves the quality of the sperm. Zink can be found in good quality meat, fish, oysters, eggs, nuts, ginger root, pumpkin seeds and green leafy vegetables.
2. B6 - Works together in synergy with zinc. You will find B6 in bananas, broccoli and watercress.
3. Good fats - Or your omega 3 (oily fish, flax and chia seeds) and omega 6 (raw and unsalted nuts and seeds) are needed for the sex hormones to function correctly. A deficiency here is likely to affect your menstrual cycle and therefore your fertility.
4. Antioxidants - To keep your body young and healthy. They are especially good for older women trying to conceive and for women living in cities because of the pollution. Examples of antioxidants are your vitamin A, C and E, Selenium and zinc. Make sure you have a diet high in colorful raw fruit and vegetables for you anitoxidants.
5. Folic Acid - Is important because it lowers a naturally existing protein called homocysteine in your blood. If your homocysteine is too high it can increase the risk of miscarriages and also your baby’s health is in danger as it contributes to defects such as spina bifida. Folic Acid is also involved very much in fertility. Folic Acid is found in all green leafy vegetables. Some midwifes suggest you take folic acid as a supplement 3 months before you conceive.